Last week we talked about the benefits of building an Enercept home with SIPS. Now that your home is going to be properly insulated, the next step is to fill the holes in your building envelope with Serious Windows.
25-30% of the heat loss in your home goes right through the typical brand name window, which has about an R-2 insulation value. Serious 25 series fiberglass windows will offer a full frame R-Value between R-3 up to R-11. Very energy efficient.
R-Value again is a measure of a material’s resistance to heat transfer. The higher the number R-value the more energy efficient.
Each winter Great Lakes Carpentry gets a number of calls from homeowners telling us they have window condensation issues. This is because the warm, moist air in your house is being drawn towards the glass which is cold, causing condensation. This is just like the when you take a nice cold soda can out of the fridge on a hot humid day. The warm air is drawn to the cold surface resulting in condensation forming on the outside of the can. This same principle is what is happening to your window during the wintertime.
Another result of poorly insulated windows is the draft that happens. Convection is the air movement that causes a drafty feeling your home. The warm air that is being drawn towards the cold glass, is cooled, becomes more dense and drops like a stone creating the draft.
Why Serious Windows are Better
– Most window companies never mention the R-Value of their windows, much less the full frame R-value. If they do mention R-Value it typically related to the center of the glass. For example, Serious 925 series fiberglass window has a full frame R-value of R-9.1, center of glass is R-14.3. Serious Windows is very transparent about the R-value of their windows.
– Fiberglass is 3 times stronger than aluminum and 9 times stronger than vinyl windows.
– Serious Windows are four times better than then a typical Energy Star rated window.
– The frame and sash for Serious 25 Series Fiberglass Windows are made of fiberglass, which is the perfect material for this use. Fiberglass is considered to be a “green” material, it does not conduct cold or heat like metal, it is very durable and due to the fact that it’s a glass product, it expands and contracts at the same rate as the glazing unit.
-The frame and sash are foam filled. Which makes them thermally broken, which adds to the full frame r-value. A spacer is used between the glass is foam as well, therefore the glass is thermally broken.
– What sets serious windows apart from the leading brand is the fact that it is built with thin film technology, this creates multiple air chambers. When combined with inert high performance gas such as krypton or xenon, Serious Windows achieve the highest R-values in the industry.
To learn more about Serious Windows visit their website, or feel free to leave a comment and Great Lakes Carpentry can also answer any questions.
Next week we will talk about Timberpeg: Post and Beam.